Hoy rescatamos un post muy interesante que aborda la importancia de la Oficina de Proyectos (PMO) en el desarrollo profesional de gestores, tanto de proyectos como de programas. LeRoy Ward nos viene a advertir del gran impacto que tendría la PMO en este sentido y nos da 6 claves para hacer esto posible, entre las que aconseja, por ejemplo, desarrollar las habilidades sociales o de liderazgo y no sólo las técnicas o la medición del impacto formativo de los profesionales.
“6 ways the PMO can become the hub of PM development
PMO’s looking to increase their value proposition, which many need to do, can make a big impact by becoming the hub of professional development for the project and program managers in their organizations whether those folks report directly to them or not. Based on my work with PMOs in many different industries here are ways any PMO Head can make this happen.
1. Make a concerted effort to “own” the core competencies and skills profiles for project and program management
If H.R. will not relinquish control, then make sure you work closely with them in this area. After all, if the right core skills are not defined, there is no basis for a structured and systematic approach to developing these professionals. Professional development will be ad hoc and may miss the mark completely.
2. Provide equal training opportunities to both PMO-Managed and Non-PMO-Managed professionals
Not doing so creates a “two class” hierarchy of professionals that only promotes deep dissatisfaction in the ranks.
3. Provide training in a wide variety of content areas important to project and program professionals
Do not simply focus on methodologies and tools training, areas where most PMOs spend their time. Executives among our clients lament the lack of leadership ability among the ranks of their project managers, yet ESI’s surveys show that organizations provide far more training in the area of methodologies, tools, and the hard skills of project management than the “soft,” or leadership skills.
4. Start softs kills training at the beginning of an individual’s career
Most everyone can benefit by soft skills training, especially those new to project management, or indeed, the workforce itself. Colleges and universities educate students in the technical subject matter of their major interest. But little is done formally to develop an individual’s leadership and interpersonal skills until they start their professional career.
5. Measure training’s impact
In a 2011 ESI survey only 20% of the respondents reported that the training offered by their PMO was measured for its effectiveness. Others reported that the only vehicle used to measure impact was the simple, and now outdated, end of course “smile” sheets. The discipline of measurement, especially as it relates to training, has advanced tremendously through the years. There are now ways to predictively measure ROI for training just weeks after the participant has attended a course. A PMO Head who needs to demonstrate value to an organization had better begin using much more sophisticated tools to measure training’s effectiveness than those instruments which ask “how did you like the chocolate chip cookies?” and “was the classroom temperature comfortable?”
6. I f your PMO is involved in PPM software implementation provide ample support and training in it
ESI’s 2012 Global State of the PMO survey revealed that 88% of the PMOs responding have implemented PPM software in their organization. Yet, only 69% offered support in its use. What are the other 31% supposed to do when they need help? Organizations are leaving many people to figure it out for themselves by watching YouTube videos or “Googling” the problem. Others just say, “read the user manual.” Software user manuals (whether hard copy or online) are laborious, complicated tomes whose sole purpose seems to be to discourage anyone from reading them. We need to give our project professionals a head start in using this sophisticated software. They need training at the outset and support along the way. If a PMO Head is expecting value from the use of a PPM tool to help make the case for the PMO, it has to be used properly.”
Os dejamos un enlace al artículo original. Pincha aquí.
Sobre el autor
LeRoy Ward -PMP, PgMP, PfMP, CSM- es consultor autónomo. Ofrece servicios de gestión de proyectos, programas y carteras, asesorando organizaciones de todos los tamaños. Anteriormente, fue Vicepresidente Ejecutivo de ESI International, donde aprovechó sus más de 38 años en project y program management para el perfeccionamiento del portfolio y cursos de ESI. Ha escrito 9 libros en gestión de proyectos. También ha escrito y ha sido citado en medios como el Finnancial Times, PM Network, CLO, Training and Developement y Project Manager Today. En 2013 fue el ganador del PMI del Eric Jennet Award, en el campo de la excelencia en la gestión de proyectos. Tiene tres grados universitarios y es miembro de varias sociedades técnicas.